Monday 1 December 2008

Jet set ... moi?

I am returned from my Thanksgiving break travels, which included a four-day trip back home.  I managed New York - London - Cambridge - Durham in 24 hours between Thursday and Friday, and then the whole journey in reverse between Sunday and Monday.  Needless to say, I felt somewhat spaced-out by the time I found myself back in New York.

However, it was more than worth it to attend the wedding of one of my closest friends, have the honour of being her bridesmaid and catch up with my friends from home ... with the added excitement that it all took place in Durham Cathedral.  Walking across Palace Green from the castle to the cathedral was cold but very special, and walking up the aisle to Herbert Howells' Hymn to Saint Cecilia is an experience I am never going to forget! 

On my return, I spent two nights with my godmother in New York, then successfully managed to make my way to Massachusetts on the bus, to my mother's cousin and her family near Boston.  I say 'managed', because American efficiency seems to break down when it comes to certain forms of public transport.  Admittedly it was the day before Thanksgiving - the busiest travel day of the year - but it required hours of queuing, discovering that the queue you meant to be in had moved, and then not being sure if there would be enough seats on the bus.  

I had a wonderful time with my family, including my first American Thanksgiving, complete with turkey, stuffing, and all the trimmings.  I had that wonderful post-Christmas feeling over the next couple of days, when there are lots of leftovers and you are allowed not to do any work.  I spent two happy afternoons downstairs in Kathy's wonderful studio, learning bookbinding and making my own book, and playing with my second cousins  once-removed, who were staying with their grandparents while Mom and Dad took a few days away.  Kathy and I had a great day in Boston and went to the Isabella Stuart Gardener museum and the theatre before I got the bus back to New Haven, back to work and back to reality. 

Two presentations, two essays and a book report to go, and then I can have a holiday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home